ENG 102 | Poetry Project | Defining Poetry | ENG 102 Handouts
1. Who is the speaker?
2. Who is the audience or person addressed?
3. What is the setting or occasion?
4. Explain the significance of the title and the meanings of any unfamiliar words.
5. Describe the form and divisions (stanzas) of the poem and their purpose.
6. Read the poem out loud and then paraphrase it.
7. Identify any figurative uses of language and their effect.
8. Explain the poem's subject and theme and connect the idea to another work we have discussed this semester
Sites for Poetry
Poems for analysis
The Lamb and The Tyger by William Blake
The Death of the Hired Man by Robert Frost